Students easily access information on the Internet these days, but they need to evaluate information carefully against what is known about its sources and sponsorship.
Here is one practice in evaluating websites for critical reading.
Compare the pairs:
Smoker's Home Page:http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/drug_alcohol/tobacco/smoking.html
1. What does each URL tell you about each web site and its publisher?
2. Who is the author of the information? Is there a way of verifying the qualifications of that author?
3. What combinations of facts and opinions can be found at these sites?
4. How accurate and current is the information found at these sites?
5. What is the purpose of each web site? (Information, entertainment, advocacy, business, public service?)
6. Are there links to other pages? If so, where do these links take you?